I think a few of us who tried using VNC to connect to a remote computer running on Ubuntu have faced the refresh problem. Here are the symptoms:
- You are able to connect to the remote computer with VNC server perfectly.
- You can even control the remote computer and if you are anywhere close see the changes in the remote computer taking place.
- BUT WAIT! The changes are not shown in your screen. Everything works but the screen doesn’t refresh! How FRUSTRATING! You can’t figure it out because you can connect and control the remote computer, it’s just the screen that doesn’t refresh.
I found a workaround thanks to Ek0nomik’s post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470306
Follow these steps on the remote computer to solve this issue:
- First remove any vnc software (eg: vnc4server) you’ve installed with the following command :
- Secondly, install x11vnc and vnc-common with the following command.
sudo apt-get install x11vnc vnc-common
- Do a reboot just to be on the safe side.
- Start the x11vnc with the following command:
sudo apt-get remove vnc4server
x11vnc -display :0 -noxdamage
Now try to connect to this computer as before. Now, hopefully, everything should get refreshed perfectly! A big thanks to Ek0nomik for saving the day.